Message from the Director
As the world grapples with the COVID-19 pandemic, we want you to know that we’re doing all we can to help our community. We will continue to prioritize the safety of our employees while working to support Culpeper County businesses, community leaders, and residents during this time. Below are some resources to help those who have been affected by COVID-19.
We are currently gathering are information on how best to support local businesses during the economic downturn caused by COVID-19. Your input will be used to shape our economic recovery programs. This survey will take about 5 minutes and is confidential. We appreciate your participation. The survey will remain open until April 1, 2020.
Phil Sheridan, Director of Culpeper County Economic Development
Families First Coronavirus Response Act
The U.S. Department of Labor will be hosting a national online dialogue to provide employers and employees with an innovative opportunity to offer their perspective as the Department develops compliance assistance materials and outreach strategies related to the implementation of the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA).
The ideas and comments gathered from this dialogue will inform compliance assistance guidance, resources, and tools, as well as outreach approaches, that assist employers and employees in understanding their responsibilities and rights under the FFCRA.
Your input is needed by March 29, 2020. Anybody who is interested can participate online at https://ffcra.ideascale.com from March 23 through March 29, 2020 or can join a Twitter chat hosted by @ePolicyWorks on March 25, 2020 at 2 p.m. using the hashtag #EPWChat.
Filing for Unemployment
Community Awareness Podcast | Work Talk; Episode 27 : How to File Unemployment Insurance During the COVID-19 Pandemic
In this (first) special community awareness podcast, you’ll discover how to file unemployment insurance when local Virginia Career Works centers are closed. You’ll learn how to determine if you are eligible for unemployment insurance, what’s next, and the changes that have been made due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Listen to the Podcast Here: https://vcwnewrivermtrogers.com/category/work-talk/
SBA’s Economic Injury Disaster Loan
The U.S. Small Business Administration is offering low-interest federal disaster loans for working capital to small businesses suffering substantial economic injury as a result of the Coronavirus (COVID-19). Small businesses, private non-profit organizations of any size, small agricultural cooperatives and small aquaculture enterprises that have been financially impacted as a direct result of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) since Jan. 31, 2020, may qualify for Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDL) of up to $2 million to help meet financial obligations and operating expenses which could have been met had the disaster not occurred. These loans may be used to pay fixed debts, payroll, accounts payable and other bills that can’t be paid because of the disaster’s impact.
Applications for Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDL) are now open in Virginia. Click here to access the loan application and instructions.
The Lord Fairfax Small Business Development Center at Culpeper is a U.S. Small Business Administration Resource Partner and as such we also can assist with questions concerning the SBA EIDL loan program. The office is currently closed and we are teleworking, and monitoring the phones daily. For assistance call or email David Reardon, Business Consultant at 540-727-0638 or email@example.com. Additional information can be found on their COVID-19 Resources webpage.
Virginia Career Works Grant Opportunity
The Virginia Career Works-Piedmont Region is proud to announce 25 reimbursement innovative aversion grants to address COVID-19 related effects on Small Businesses (250 or fewer employees). Businesses can apply for a grant to be used for the following
- Deep cleaning
- Sanitizing office space to prevent potential exposure to COVID-19
- Purchase specific software and/or computer applications that are needed to work from home or remotely to support social distancing
This funding effort is to help to provide some relief to small businesses during this crisis. Grants will be awarded up to $3000.00 on a first come first serve basis.
Apply for the grant here: https://vcwpiedmont.com/covid-19-relief-resources/. The deadline for this grant is 5:00 p.m. on March, 31, 2020.
Other Grant Opportunities
Facebook Grants – Facebook is offering $100M in cash grants and ad credits for up to 30,000 eligible small businesses in over 30 countries where they operate.
Truist – NCIFund COVID-19 Grants -$1 Million in grants from $5,000 to $25,000 for businesses that were in operation as of August 1, 2019 and that have no more than 10 full time employees and no more than $1 million in annual revenue.
- CDC Guidance for Businesses and Employers
- CDC – Situation Summary
- CDC – What to do if you are sick with COVID-19
- U.S. Chamber: Coronavirus Response Toolkit
- VIRGINIA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH – The latest facts and COVID-19 press releases.
- Virginia Government – https://www.virginia.gov/coronavirus-updates/
- Virginia Chamber provides a COVID-19 Resource Center website here.
- Consumer delivery permits are available for certain alcoholic beverage licensees and producers from the Virginia ABC at no additional cost. Apply here.
- The Virginia Wineries Association and the Virginia Craft Brewers Guild are both offering online resources and updates for their industry partners.
- Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Sciences directive regarding farmers markets, breweries, and tasting rooms.
- The Virginia Employment Commission is providing a Q&A on Unemployment Insurance Procedures In Response To Covid-19
- The Virginia State Corporation Commission (SCC) has directed regulated electric, natural gas and water companies in Virginia to suspend service disconnections until the coronavirus outbreak subsides. Learn more here.
- Several internet and cellular service providers are providing resources and relief for those affected by COVID-19: AT&T, Comcast and Verizon.